Pages

19/11/2013

Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan

First off let me say, I know this is a children's book, but I love it. I love all things Greek mythology, and I think it's so unique how Rick Riordan modernised the ancient world. As well as following the storyline and exploring the modern mythical world, I was also able to learn a lot about the Greek gods and goddesses.

So if you don't already know, this story follows Percy Jackson, a troubled teenager who is always getting into trouble at school. He discovers that he's a demigod (half god, half human) and goes to join Camp Half-Blood, which is like a camp/school for  these demigods to teach them all about their 'parents' and fighting techniques etc. Percy Jackson, Annabeth and Grover end up going on a quest to retrieve the Lightning Bolt that someone had stolen from Zeus.
I really liked this book, I think it was innovative, different, light-hearted, funny and really easy to read. Although it was simplistic, due to its target market, I didn't let that bother me. I didn't critique it as I was reading it, I just read it for fun, and I loved it! The quest was crazy, the things they encountered on it were so fascinating, and coming across other mythical people e.g. Medusa etc, was great. I love the fact that it teaches people about the Greek gods and now thanks to this book I'm more aware of it all, and I've really gotten into mythology a lot more!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it so much. Can't wait to see what you think about the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete