Pages

18/11/2013

Poison Study Trilogy - Maria V Snyder

I don't know whether I loved this trilogy, or whether I disliked it with a passion. I'm confused about it all.

Synopsis taken from Goodreads 
"Choose: A quick death…Or slow poison...

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust—and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.


5/5 stars
As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear..." 

Right, so after reading that I was like 'OH DEAR GOD I HAVE TO HAVE IT'. I kind of have a small fascination with death row and criminals. I guess I need to be interested in criminals if I want to be criminal lawyer though right?! 

Okay, so anyway, I loved the first book (poison study) I think it was so interesting, it was written perfectly. I loved Yelena and I felt so bad for her. At first I was like, what did she do to make it onto death row, is she really a bad person or? I love the way the plot unfolded and I fell in love with Valek from the minute he appeared on the scene, he's such a sexy character, a little like Christian Grey kind of sexy. I love it. 

I didn't realise that this trilogy would involve magic, by the time I got to reading the book I'd completely forgotten what it was all about, so it was all a surprise for me finding out about the magicians in the book, but I was glad that was kept to a minimum... if I'm honest I think this trilogy could have taken a different route, ditched the magic and I would have liked it a lot more. 

It's a shame, because Poison Study is such a terrific book. The rest of the trilogy is a let down, it's confusing, it's boring, it takes ages for something interesting to happen and in both the second and the third book, Valek only appears half way - three quarters of the way through, and that irritated me a lot, I think Valek was my favourite character, and I was disappointed that he wasn't around in the last two books. 






-- If you're into the whole magic, magicians, and saving the country kind of scene, then I definitely recommend this series, but if I'm honest... I still haven't finished Fire Study (#3) because it's just not captivating and I'm beyond caring about what happens.

1 comment:

  1. You should read the Girl of Fire and Thorns series and the Graceling series, if you haven't already. Two of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete