Pages

06/12/2013

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling

Yes! The time has come for re-reading the Harry Potter series! So if you've been living in a cave these past 15/20 years and you're not quite sure what Harry Potter is about, I will tell you right this second! Let's go!

Right, so Harry Potter is a boy who thinks he's normal, he lives with his aunt and uncle who treat him badly because of who his parents were. On the year of his 11th birthday, he receives a letter which tells him he's a wizard and he needs to go to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to study and learn more about his new world.

I think every person who's read this book hoped and prayed that they would receive the same letter in the post telling them they're a witch/wizard. I know I did! When I passed my 11th birthday I was super upset that I didn't get a letter (true story).

This Wizarding World is the best fantasy world that has ever been written in my opinion. The writing is great, very informative and perfectly described characters and settings, which is needed for this kind of book as everything is made up. Obviously I've read this before and I've seen the movies, so the descriptions didn't really have an impact on my reading this a second time round because I already had an image of what everything looked like, but if you still haven't read it or seen the movies, you won't be confused and you won't get lost because J.K. Rowling is a goddess.

I loved all the events that took place in this book, I'm just upset they left a few things out of the movies, like Snape's potion test! That would have been really good in the movie and we could have had a chance to work it out for ourselves. J.K could have included an image of the potions so we could work it out whilst reading the book too to see how Hermione could have figured it out, if it was possible and if we're as smart as her! (I wish!)

Reading this book again made me so happy and the thought of going home and picking it up to read made me want to leave every event I went to just so I could go and read it, even though I knew everything that would happen back to front!

I'm a BIG Harry Potter fan, and a proud Gryffindor (according to Pottermore, although I disagree with that because I'm the wimpiest of wimps) so this might be a little biased, but if you haven't read the books or seen the movies by now, it's probably not your thing anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment