Pages

12/01/2014

Boy Meets Boy - David Levithan

I saw this while I was scrolling through eBay, and it was only £2 so I thought I'd buy it and see how it goes! I've never read a book mainly to do with homosexuality. I really enjoyed it.

The main character, Paul, really reminded me of Charlie from The Perks of being a Wallflower. They could have been the same person I guess, this book is really similar to that one- and I'm pretty happy I found it.

The writing style was really easy to read, it was simplistic, and allowed me to flow through it quickly without realising I've been sitting down reading for a good 3 hours. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I'll let you decide.
The town they live in seems like it belongs in a fairytale. It's just totally unrealistic, but it's nice to pretend that these towns exist, I don't know- maybe they do? I've yet to come across a place that openly accepts gay people 100% and changes things from the norm so much. Like having bikers instead of cheerleaders (I loved that! How fascinating).

Tony was my favourite character, I honestly think there should be another book from his point of view about his life. I feel like Paul hasn't had the experiences that many young gay boys have in the real world, he seemed to have it easy- his parents accept him, all his friends understand, he frequently just happens to come across a whole bunch of other gay guys etc whereas in the real world, it's not uncommon for a guy to fall for a straight guy. Tony's parents are really religious and when I first opened the book and saw the word 'religious' I was like OH NO WHAT NO I HATE RELIGION STOP. But that didn't come up too much, and the parts where it did come up, it was just like 'ugh these people are so stupid, of course he's not going to hell because he's gay'. I would love a whole book about Tony and his struggles. David Levithan can we have a companion novel please? Thanks.

I liked Joni at the beginning. I thought she's a really nice girl who definitely has her head screwed on, and then she just changes and turns into the type of girl that everyone has met before and everyone despises and I hate that. And I hate that at the end it's left so open about what she decides to do and what happens with her and the others. Like it's so unclear, does she see the light or does she continue to be this stupid stupid child??

I really enjoyed this book, a lot more than I enjoyed The Perks, but that might be because I wasn't really aware that the way both of these books are written is actually a type of style, and not just an author who's really simple. I might have to re-read The Perks to form a more updated view on the book. I highly recommend this!

1 comment:

  1. Great review! If you want more stories to review, feel free to check out my page and review my stories or just comment thoughts and ideas. I post humorous short stories and novelettes. My main project right now is A Story of Two Protagonists and a World (I have the first two chapters up and post a new one weekly).
    http://shortstoriesoflife16.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete