Pages

25/01/2014

Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout

The idea behind this book was so intriguing that I really thought I'd love it.

So basically it's about this girl who meets this guy and it turns out that he's like an alien and they really dislike each other and he's a complete dick- but she's like bestfriends with his sister so they kinda have to put up with each other. Then something happens and Katy is in danger so she has to stay close to him (Daemon) so he can protect her even though they're like cat & dog and they like literally want to kill each other.

The premise of it sounds okay, it sounds like my type of brain-melting feel good kind of book, and the story was okay. I loved the aliens, Dee & Daemon are just really really great interesting characters, they're so different and they bring so much to hold the story together. They're really my favourite characters.

I'm not really sure what it is about this book that made me dislike it so much. I found it a little slow, nothing really happens for most of the book and it's literally just snarky comments thrown back and forth from Katy and Daemon, like after the first 100 pages it got a bit boring, like can you just stop now - you obviously like each other just stop being twats pls (that was how I felt).

Katy was really really unlikeable, I completely did not get along with her at all. I've been really used to this 'kick ass', heroic, tough cookie kind of protagonist, that Katy was really just another Bella Swan. She came across as really weak and kept relying on other people and was always playing the victim, it just pissed me off so much.

There's another thing. This was exactly like Twilight. I could literally see what was coming before it happened because I was comparing it to twilight the whole time.

Girl meets hot but idiotic guy who seems different to everyone else-  the group don't fit in at school and everyone talks about them and how they're weird.
Girl tries to figure out what's going on  and what's different about these people- girl figures it out/gets told.
Girl and guy fall for eachother but can't be together due to species issues.
Girl attracts bad guys to the guy and gets attacked. Guy comes and saves her. Guy has to protect girl from more bad guys.

BLAH
It's Twilight.

So if you don't like Twilight, don't read this, I really don't recommend it. It's practically the same thing. But if you are a fan, then I'm sure you'll like this too.

I just really didn't and I won't be continuing with the series.

*I did like Twilight when I was like 13 (5 years ago heh)!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the straight-forward review. I think I'm taking your advice to leave the book unread (it's been in my e-reader for quite some times but haven't find the mood to read it, and now I won't. Hahah). Save my time so much.

    But I did like Twilight years ago, not so much now. I like your reviews, by the way!

    ReplyDelete