Pages

17/07/2014

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

I was looking through my review list and realised I didn't actually have a review of this! But I mean, it makes sense considering I read this LONG before I started my review blog.
So this isn't really going to be a review, because... I'm pretty sure everyone's already read this.
But if you haven't. DO IT. It's way better than the movie, trust me.

I'm going to tell you what I liked and disliked about this book. Re-reading it made me notice little things they cut out from the movies and really, just re-experience the story all over again.


LIKES:
- The story. The setting. Peeta.
- I love Prim. I love Katniss's love for her sister.
- I generally just love it all.

But there are problems.
1. Katniss isn't as likeable as she is in the movie. Maybe that's just the way JLaw plays her, or maybe it's the way Collins portrays her. But I just didn't feel attached to her. I don't remember if I felt that way when I first read the book, but that's how I feel now.
2. Peeta is just perfect. I don't really like him in the movie, he's a bit.. dull. But book-Peeta is just absolutely perfect.
3. Never liked Gale (shhhh)
4. The writing sucks. I kind of reminds me of the way Twilight's written. I think if someone could re-write it and switch things up a little, maybe aim it at older teens it would be a much better story. For the content, it just came across a little light for me. But that might just be because I've grown up a lot more and prefer darker stories. -- I just can't get over the fact that this book is essentially about kids killing eachother and it still just seems to light and fluffy for me.

That's all I can think of at this present moment. Which is poor considering I LITERALLY just finished the book. But I'll update if I remember anything else.
Despite my long list of dislikes compared to likes, I would recommend this. I did like it & I'm ready to get into Catching Fire and Mockingjay to complete my marathon of this trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment