Pages

09/07/2014

The Summer I Turned Pretty - Jenny Han

This is a cute fluffy coming of age contemporary summer book. I literally defined the whole book in one sentence *proud!*
So Belly goes to Cousins every summer with her family and her mum's bestfriends family. But now she's all grown up, things change and start to get better for her I guess. Being the youngest of the kids and the only girl, she was often left out of what the boys were doing.

I liked this book, it wasn't great, I'm going to be honest. I mean, it was readable and a little enjoyable in parts, but there were a few things that irritated me, and I just couldn't push them out of my head.

For one, even when Belly was like 15/16(?) she was constantly acting like a child. And I mean, hello, when you're trying to prove to the guy you like that you've grown up, you don't go around throwing temper tantrums and whatnot. Like, that's just common sense. That really irritated me.
Another point was her name, I mean, okay we all have nicknames we were given as kids, (mine used to be blossom because (1) i like blossom from powerpuff girls SO much and (2) apparently that's what my name means? so my dad called me that). But when I turned like I DON'T KNOW 10 I GREW OUT OF IT AND STOPPED MAKING PEOPLE CALL ME THAT.
Like 'Belly' is such a childish name, I mean, it's cute for a kid, but when you're trying to act all grown up, once again, you don't keep it. She has a lovely name, Isabel is such a beautiful name, and Belly ruins it.
* But anyway that's just like a personal opinion and really has nothing to do with the story, I'm just ranting *

I felt bad for Belly a lot, she was always constantly being picked on by the boys and it must have really sucked for her not to have anyone her own age that she can be with and having to constantly hang out with her mum and her mums friend, Susannah every night in the summer.

Speaking of Susannah, I loved her. Didn't you just love her? AH she is my favourite character. She's so bubbly and fun all the time, and just such a happy person, despite her issues. I feel like I liked the end of the story more because it got slightly deeper, and it's given me this dilemma about whether I want to continue onto the next book or not.

But overall, I don't really understand the hype about this book, I liked it, but I didn't love it, I had issues with it, I got bored a little. BUT I finished it, and if I finish a book, then honestly it wasn't that bad.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment