Pages

21/06/2015

Losing It - Cora Carmack

Losing It - Cora Carmack 
"Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, Bliss Edwards decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible - a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier." - Goodreads

I liked this book. I did, I really did. But I had a lot of problems with it, so many issues that bugged me, that stopped me from rating it higher than I did.
I didn't like Bliss, she was annoying, slightly pathetic and immature. And Bliss? Who even has a name like Bliss.. really?
 

Why couldn't she be called Rachel or Monica or something (yes Friends reference), so yeah that was annoying, but again, had nothing to do with her character. I found myself rolling my eyes a lot of the time, I found that I was skipping lines and even paragraphs of her constant complaining and whining and worrying. I mean, there's points in the book where her friends literally force her to go out and do things that she doesn't want to do, and she doesn't have the courage (if it's even courage she needs) to tell them she doesn't want to. It's so frustrating. BE YOUR OWN PERSON.


Another thing that irked me was the writing. It is so very clear that this author knows absolutely nothing about Britain, British people and their phrases/habits etc. This book was just full of stereotypes, and honestly, whenever a book includes a British character, I just cringe a little because I know what's coming. Authors should really do some research on the origins of their characters instead of googling 'British stereotypes' and hoping that they're all true. One thing that was said that made me laugh and nearly put down the book was:

"The paleness is only because I'm British"

WHAT. WHAT? Really? Only British people are pale now? Can American's not be pale? Can you not have darker skinned British people? WHAT.

And the pronunciation of 'sorry' is not 'SOORI' in a British accent. Just say that out loud and then laugh with me. It's more like 'Soh-ry' but whatever Carmack, you know best.

Ugh so anyway, moving on. I don't want to keep bashing this book but those are the main things that stuck out to me whilst reading it. I loved the concept, I loved the premise, I loved the plot and everything that happened. I loved that theatre and acting was brought into it, it just took a different turn and it was really good. So needless to say I flew through it.

I rated this 3* on Goodreads. All I have left to say is that if someone could take this story and re-write it with a less pathetic main character and some less offensive stereotypes, that would be great.


No comments:

Post a Comment