Pages

14/06/2015

Tease - Amanda Maciel

Synopsis: 
"Emma Putnam is dead, and it's all Sara Wharton's fault. At least, that's what everyone seems to think. Sara, along with her best friend and three other classmates, has been criminally charged for the bullying and harassment that led to Emma's shocking suicide. Now Sara is the one who's ostracized, already guilty according to her peers, the community, and the media. In the summer before her senior year, in between meetings with lawyers and a court-recommended therapist, Sara is forced to reflect on the events that brought her to this moment—and ultimately consider her own role in an undeniable tragedy. And she'll have to find a way to move forward, even when it feels like her own life is over." - Goodreads

Where can I start with this. I loved the concept of this book, for some reason, I really enjoy books about bullying or anything remotely sad and depressing. Don't ask me why! I'm kind of confused with whether or not I liked this book... I liked the story and the concept, kind of. But I just hated the main character. Maybe that was because she was the bully, but it's also because she just couldn't see that what she was doing was wrong, which was incredibly frustrating.

I'll try and keep this one short, but I'm still a bit confused.

Pros:

  • The writing style was quite good, not the best, but not too bad. 
  • The story and the events were interesting... and sad. 
  • It's sad, it's really a terrible thing to read about, which... probably isn't a pro for some people, but these kinds of books really get me thinking and I love that.
Cons:
  • The protagonist was the most self-centred, selfish person I've ever read about. I nearly didn't finish this book because some of things she'd say was just completely ridiculous. 
  • The reasons for bullying Emma Putnam were pathetic, as if they were all in like Year 7. They're 17/18 years old and they literally bullied the girl to the point of suicide for pathetic, immature things that wouldn't have mattered in a years time, that was SO frustrating. 

I kind of feel like, I didn't understand the book or where Sara was coming from because 1. I'm not a bully and 2. I didn't really feel like things in High School were such a big deal, and therefore never really cared enough to fight with people so I just didn't understand. 

I mean yeah, Emma did some shit that wasn't nice, but that didn't mean she should have been bullied like that. I can see why Sara didn't like her, but there was no BIG reason that could even remotely justify it. I feel like maybe some of the plot was just a bit tame, it could have been a lot better. 

YES. I think that's what I'm getting at, it was a good book but it could have been a lot better. It could have been written in a way that we could have seen Emma's point of view too, which BTW I am dying for. I would love a book about Emma's point of view. It's hard to judge when you only hear one side! 

So yeah, it was an okay book. I rated it 3* on goodreads. I probably wouldn't pick it up again, but HEY Amanda Maciel, if you ever read this: can we please have Emma's POV? Cheers<3 div="" nbsp="">

2 comments:

  1. I still don't know if I want to read this or not. I really really agree with all your other reviews on the books that I read so I don't know ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!

      I'm glad you find my reviews helpful, I can't tell you whether or not to read it, but if you agree a lot with my opinions and views, I think you will enjoy it enough to read it and finish it, but it may not be your favourite book. Or it may be.

      Why not give it a try and see!?

      Enjoy!

      Delete