Pages

05/08/2015

Say Her Name - James Dawson

Say Her Name - James Dawson 
"Roberta 'Bobbie' Rowe is not the kind of person who believes in ghosts. A Halloween dare at her ridiculously spooky boarding school is no big deal, especially when her best friend Naya and cute local boy Caine agree to join in too. They are ordered to summon the legendary ghost of 'Bloody Mary': say her name five times in front of a candlelit mirror, and she shall appear... But, surprise surprise, nothing happens. Or does it?

Next morning, Bobbie finds a message on her bathroom mirror... five days... but what does it mean? And who left it there? Things get increasingly weird and more terrifying for Bobbie and Naya, until it becomes all too clear that Bloody Mary was indeed called from the afterlife that night, and she is definitely not a friendly ghost. Bobbie, Naya and Caine are now in a race against time before their five days are up and Mary comes for them, as she has come for countless others before... A truly spine-chilling yet witty horror from shortlisted 'Queen of Teen' author James Dawson.
" - Goodreads 

I really enjoyed this book. I loved that it was set in the UK, places that I've been to were mentioned (Croydon!) and this was one of the only books that didn't include a whole bunch of 'British stereotypes'.  Yes, there were a lot of 'Britishisms'(?) but they were things that I've actually heard in my everyday life and words that people I know would use, i.e. Darling (although Bobbie's mum did seem to overuse that!)


The whole point of this story, the scary aspect, the creepiness, the jump out of your seat and scream aspect was good. Whilst I was reading it, I thought it was scary and done really well, I still think that. I don't normally get scared by books, I mean.. they're just words after all - but this really creeped me out a lot. Reading it in the middle of the night probably wasn't the best idea. I have a habit of putting myself in the main characters shoes, and reading the book as if everything was happening to me, which I guess is an amazing thing- but this time, I got scared. I can't look in mirrors anymore. As far as I'm concerned, it was mission accomplished.

There were a few times where I found myself skimming the pages, it was a tad bit boring. Pages of description of Caine's eyes and pages of irrelevant teenage babble, I could have done without that.

I enjoyed the events, but I feel like maybe they were a bit far-fetched, it was a little weird, a little childish perhaps? But it was entertaining, nevertheless.

I really enjoyed this book, and if you're looking for a little horror in your life, I think this is the one for you. I rated this 3* on Goodreads!

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I honestly heard about this book before but didn't think it was very popular. Horror is not something I like to read, because I do get creeped out easily, but we never know :)

    ReplyDelete