Pages

08/11/2015

Silver Linings Playbook - Matthew Quick

 Silver Linings Playbook - Matthew Quick 
"Meet Pat. Pat has a theory: his life is a movie produced by God. And his God-given mission is to become physically fit and emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending for him -- the return of his estranged wife Nikki. (It might not come as a surprise to learn that Pat has spent time in a mental health facility.) The problem is, Pat's now home, and everything feels off. No one will talk to him about Nikki; his beloved Philadelphia Eagles keep losing; he's being pursued by the deeply odd Tiffany; his new therapist seems to recommend adultery as a form of therapy. Plus, he's being hunted by Kenny G!" - Goodreads

This is my new favourite book. It's as easy as that. I'm ashamed to say that it took me so so long to pick it up and read it but I am so glad that I finally did.

I loved the different emotions that this book brought out in me, I've had my fair share of mental health problems and some of the themes raised in the book really hit close to home. I love books that raise darker issues of people's lives, and how they overcome the hard times and find that silver lining. I've been through it before and I could really relate to it.

I loved Pat. He was an extremely likeable main character, and I just wanted everything to work out for him. I also really enjoyed Tiffany's character although I did want to see a lot more of her. I definitely wanted this book to be a lot longer, so everything could have been explored more in-depth.

The relationship Pat had with his mother was beautiful. You could tell he loved her but felt powerless when it came to helping her when his dad wasn't treating her right. Which brings me onto how angry his dad made me. The way he treated his family because of a game was incredible, he was an incredibly difficult character to get to grips with but the character development built by Quick was fantastic.

Yesterday, shortly after finishing the book, I decided to watch the movie for the second time.. (yes I saw the movie before I read the book, I did and I'm not ashamed) and I loved it. I personally think it's one of the best book to movie adaptations around and I'm so happy they didn't completely butcher it. Although, with a cast including Robert De Niro, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, how could you go wrong?

If you were hesitant to pick this up for any reason, I would definitely recommend reading it, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. I rated this book 5* on Goodreads!

Do you like it? Did you not like it? Let me know your views below in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment