Pages

07/04/2016

Glass Sword - Victoria Aveyard

Glass Sword - Victoria Aveyard 
I won't include the synopsis as this is a sequel to RED QUEEN. Here's the Goodreads page for Red Queen and my review of Red Queen here

Ok, so let's get started *flicks through notepad*.

I'm gonna start off and just say my overall thoughts, it was okay. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be, it wasn't as good as Red Queen and I wasn't too bothered about the characters. I liked the plot, and I liked the things that happened (which at this point in time, I can't even remember cos it's been so long ago since I read it.. oops) but I did enjoy a lot of things that happened in this book. My notes prove that.

The beginning was hard for me to get into, I was a little baffled at what was going on. I didn't remember much of Red Queen and so it took me a while to get into this book. I think I was about 30% in when I started understanding things a bit more. And even then there were names and references to the past that I was like... wait what, who's that? When did that happen? HUH. But other than that I slid back into the world easily.

"Seems a little bit like a children's superhero movie to me" <- a="" and="" as="" attempting.="" because="" believable.="" book.="" book="" but="" characters="" comment="" couldn="" didn="" do="" doing="" done="" expect="" goodreads="" had="" have="" i="" if="" in="" it="" just="" last="" little="" made="" maybe="" me="" nbsp="" of="" off="" on="" or="" p="" pull="" purely="" quite="" reading="" seem="" sense.="" skills="" some="" stunts="" t="" that="" the="" them="" they="" things="" this="" to="" unrealistic="" was="" wasn="" were="" whilst="" wouldn="" yeah="">
I liked the first little mission they were attempting but it did seem to get really repetitive after a while, and bored me a little. I was hoping it would be switched up after one or two attempts and something would go wrong or just something different would happen but it didn't really happen until the end.

I wasn't a massive fan of the first half of the book, but it did seem to get better during the second half. That was when it got a little less repetitive.

There was only one character that I really really loved, I can't say who cos I don't want to spoil it, but let's just say that I'm not happy at all about the outcome at the end. Not happy.

Other than that, it was an okay book but I don't think I'll be continuing with this series. It didn't hold my attention as much as Red Queen did, and I'm not as invested in the series as I'd like to be. Red Queen mixed everything I loved about other books into one great book, but the second just didn't compare. I rated this book 3* on Goodreads.

What did you think of this sequel? 

2 comments:

  1. I sadly won't read this one, I didn't care too much for the first, nothing felt original to me and I saw the big bad guy twist so easily. Great review though!

    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like Red Queen so I don't continue the series, but many people seems to be dissapointed with Glass Sword. Like you said, it just too repetitive and boring and Mare seems like a selfish girl with all the "lightning girl" thing. I hope your next read would be better!

    tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete