Pages

14/04/2016

Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo 
"Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone..." 

It took me a long time to get into this, but I think that's partly due to my incredible tiredness just as I'm about to start reading. Sigh. Anyway, so as I'm writing this, I'm kind of re-thinking my rating.... 

This book is amazing. It's so so good and I'm glad I stuck with it, cos I was going to put it down after about 15% cos I just had NO idea what was happening. The names of the characters and the places are just really difficult to get used to and to know what is what, which way is up. At some points, I was even questioning who I was. It was confusing and I didn't really sit and read for as long as I'd have wanted to, to get into the book. 

BUT when I eventually did, I loved it. It took me about half of the book to understand what all the words meant, and who was what etc, but I eventually got it. I guess it would have been easier if I'd have read the Grisha trilogy, I'd have been more familiar with the world, but I'll definitely get to that one in the future! 

I loved Bardugo's writing style, I'm not usually a fan of books with more than dual POV because I usually get so confused and forget who's who etc, but it was done really well in this and I actually loved that we got to see things happening from different points of view. 

I adored all of the characters, which is an amazing thing to happen to me. I usually have problems with characters, one way or another but in Six of Crows, I just loved each and every one of them for completely different reasons. 

"A convict with a thirst for revenge.
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.
A runaway with a privileged past.
A spy known as the Wraith.
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.
 "

I just... loved them all. My favourite group. Ever. Maybe. 

The heist itself was incredible, I literally could not put the book down. I wanted to see what was going to happen, I wanted to see how they were going to do it, if they were going to get away with it, if any of them were going to die. I just needed to know it all. 

I loved all of their backstories, each time we flipped to a different character's POV, we got a little portion of their life before the heist and they were all incredibly interesting. I loved how it explained some of their behaviour in the present time, and we got to really understand their character and we could see how much they've changed. Incredible character development, it was just really amazing. 

I'm so excited for the second book, I just have a feeling this is going to be an amazing series. I rated this book 4* on Goodreads, I knocked a star off because it took me so long to get into, but really I think it was inevitable considering the intricate world, so I've decided to change my rating to 4.5* because I really really loved this. And I hope when/if I re-read it, I can bump it up to a full on 5* rating! 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! I really want to get a Wylan pov in the next book though! I agree, it was pretty confusing at the beginning, since there are a lot of characters to get used to.

    ReplyDelete