Pages

22/05/2016

Twisted - Hannah Jayne

Title: Twisted 
Author: Hannah Jayne
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Date Published: 5th July 2016
Pages: 297
Source: NetGalley

"When her father is accused of being a serial killer, Bex becomes the ultimate bait in this game of cat and mouse
Bex is ready to start a new life in foster care. There, she won't be known as a serial killer's daughter. Though her father was never tried for the murders attributed to "The Wife Collector," he disappeared after questioning. And Bex struggles with the guilt that she provided the circumstantial evidence that convicted him in the public's perception—and drove him to abandon her.
But when a body turns up in her new hometown, all signs point to the Wife Collector. Bex's old life isn't ready to let her go. The police want to use Bex to lure in her father. But is she baiting a serial killer or endangering an innocent man?" - Goodreads

I really enjoyed reading this book, although I had some issues; some of which I kind of need to look back at my notes to remember... I read this book a while ago and completely forgot to write up the review so I'm sure this one will be a bit of a mess. I apologise. 

If you know me, which I guess.. you probably don't... but if you did, you'd know that I love any kind of books with serial killers, murderers, or just criminals in general. I find them fascinating, so I knew that no matter what I would like this book. I really enjoyed the background of the story, I kind of liked Bex at first, but further into the book she annoyed the hell outta me. It was just the right amount of creepy, with a lighthearted kind of feel that balanced it out a bit. Although I could 100% deal with just complete darkness in these types of novels. I love it. So yeah, it was good, but I've read better. 

The first issue I had with this was Bex herself. She was so so annoying. I really enjoyed her character at first, I thought she was perfect considering what she'd been through, she was written really well. But further into the story, she just became really.. stupid, for lack of a better word. She was so oblivious to everything that was happening, obvious clues and it was frustrating. I found myself shouting at the book, "YOU'RE SUCH AN IDIOT HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW" multiple times. Ugh. 

Secondly, I felt that the book kind of dragged on for a while halfway through and I just really wanted it to reach its climax. It was lacking in the middle (okay like 30/40% in) and at times I was bored. 

Saying that, there were some creepy moments in the book and I loved them. I've had a problem recently where I think that things aren't creepy or scary enough in books, but then I decided to imagine if it were me in that situation and now even the smallest thing (like the phone ringing) will creep me out. 

I just want to quickly throw it in here that I loved Bex's foster parents. They are seriously the best parents to have. Loved them.

Overall, this was a great quick read that I really enjoyed, and although it could have been better in some ways, I thought that it was great for the time in my life that I read it and would definitely recommend it if you're into messed up teen lives.  I rated this 3* on Goodreads.

What did you think? Are you interested in reading this? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment