Pages

08/09/2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - John Tiffany and Jack Thorne

Title: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child 
Author: John Tiffany and Jack Thorne
Series: Harry Potter #8 (Debatable)
Publisher: Little Brown UK
Date Published: 31st July 2016
Pages: 343
Source: Bought
It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.
While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places. - Goodreads
Awful. 

I'm sorry, I really wanted to like this. I pre-ordered it, I read it the day I got it and I hated it. Okay, I didn't hate it.. but it wasn't what I expected at all. 

The characters in this script didn't seem anything like the original characters that J.K. created. But that really was only a small issue that I had. I still imagined them as we saw them in the films, and I still thought of them as those quirky book characters we originally met them as. 

The main issue I had with this was the plot. Now, I haven't seen the play so I'm assuming when I say that it's probably a lot better. The effects, the acting, the visual interpretation of what's happening is probably a lot better to follow and love in a theatre format than it is in a book format. It was just stupid(??). That's the only word I have for it, it was just so dumb. Many people before me have said this, but it read like really bad fan fiction. I have never been a fan of fan fiction (great choice of words there!) and no, this didn't convert me. 

It's disappointing that J.K. would let this be released as it did. Maybe as a first draft, but definitely not as a final book/script. 

I want to end this review on a good note, and there were things that I did like so I have to mention that. I loved seeing all the characters that I grew up with come back and have different adventures. It was nice to read words like 'Hermione said...' or 'Harry and Ron went here' or whatever, it was so comforting. Like I was coming home for the first time in a long time. 

Another thing I have to admit is that I did want to read it, I did want to find out what happened and how it all ended. So yes, in that sense, it did pull me in and I was intrigued, but that's not to say my point earlier doesn't still stand. The plot was stupid. 

Anyway, I rated this 2* on Goodreads. How did you find it? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. "Series: Harry Potter #8 (Debatable)"

    haha! I totally agree. I absolutely hate that this was marketing as the 8th book! It made no sense to me at all... It should have just been a stand alone.

    ReplyDelete