Pages

15/09/2016

The Dead Boyfriend - R.L.Stine

Title: The Dead Boyfriend 
Author: R.L. Stine
Series: Fear Street Relaunch #5
Publisher: St Martin's Griffin
Date Published: September 27th 2016
Pages: 276
Source: NetGalley
Caitlin has never had a real boyfriend before. When she starts seeing Colin, she throws herself into the relationship with fervor. She ignores her friends who warn her that Colin may be a phony and that she is taking the whole thing too seriously. Caitlin is smitten. She doesn't care if she loses her friends. All she wants is Colin. When Caitlin approaches Colin with another girl, she completely loses it. She snaps. Everything goes red. When she comes back to her senses, she realizes that Colin is dead - and she has killed him.

But if Colin is dead, how is he staring at her across a crowded party?

Terrifying from the first page to the last, The Dead Boyfriend is a heart-racing young adult novel from the master of teen screams himself. - Goodreads
This book was sent to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. 

I'm not going to lie to you, there were some parts of this book that completely freaked me out. I've only just discovered Stine's Fear Street series and although it's not exactly my cup of tea, they do keep pulling me in. They're good. 

I love reading scary books, but I can't handle scary- so it has to be a kind of soft-horror. This wasn't really that scary, I could handle it. It was however, creepy and there were some scenes that I flat out gasped and cringed and was just too shocked to even continue reading. 

I absolutely despised the main character, Caitlyn was just a stupid person. She was just so dumb, I wanted to punch her in the face. There were times where I just thought, you know what... you deserve it. You're too thick to survive this horror book. 

This book could definitely have been written a lot better, which would have made it a lot more scary  but then... I wouldn't have been able to sleep for 2 weeks, so maybe that's a good thing. 

I really enjoyed reading this, I love all the Fear Street books that I've read, and will definitely read more! They're so quick and crazy to read. I rated this book 2* on Goodreads. In hindsight, I probably should change the rating to a 3 because I did like it. It was just more of a guilty pleasure/it's rubbish but I like it, kind of read. Rather than a 'wow this is a great book!'

2 comments:

  1. I can't stand stupid main characters, It absolutely turns me off from books.

    http://upanelmstree.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happens at the end of the book?

    ReplyDelete