Pages

30/10/2016

Genius: The Game - Leopoldo Gout

Title: Genius: The Game
Author: Leopoldo Gout 
Series: Genius #1
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Date Published: 3rd May 2016
Pages: 304
Source: NetGalley
Trust no one. Every camera is an eye. Every microphone an ear. Find me and we can stop him together.
The Game: Get ready for Zero Hour as 200 geniuses from around the world go head to head in a competition hand-devised by India's youngest CEO and visionary.
The Players:Rex- One of the best programmers/hackers in the world, this 16-year-old Mexican-American is determined to find his missing brother.
Tunde- This 14-year-old self-taught engineering genius has drawn the attention of a ruthless military warlord by single-handedly bringing electricity and internet to his small Nigerian village.
Painted Wolf- One of China's most respected activist bloggers, this mysterious 16-year-old is being pulled into the spotlight by her father's new deal with a corrupt Chinese official.
The Stakes: Are higher than you can imagine. Like life and death. Welcome to the revolution. And get ready to run. - Goodreads

The concept of this book pulled me in and just didn't let me go. I thought it was so interesting, I loved the diverse characters from different parts of the world, I loved the whole idea. It was unique and exciting, I had such high hopes for this book. But it just wasn't executed like I thought it would be. I think the author had an incredible idea, but just couldn't pull it off, which is such a massive shame!


I really enjoyed the writing, the 3 different point of views were easy to differentiate! The fact that all of these characters were based in different countries (and continents) was so refreshing to see. We really need more diversity in books, I love learning about different cultures and ways of life. It's fascinating.

I found myself really liking all 3 of our main characters, but Painted-Wolf was 100000% my absolute favourite. I really want a book that's just purely about her and her life as a blogger. I thought that in itself was incredibly fascinated. She made this book. Tunde was so cute, I kind of imagine him as a little, vulnerable child - even though it's very clear he could hold his own, and was crazy crazy smart. There was this vulnerability to him, that I just really loved. He relied on his friends, he needed them (especially at the beginning), it was nice to see at the end of the book, that they also needed him. I think I liked Rex the least, but I could identify with him the most. I can't tell you why I do, because that would be spoiling the book, but he does something the others don't and I could just really relate!

The "GAME" itself was kind of awful? It wasn't much of a game, it didn't take up a lot of the book. I thought it would have a much bigger part, I thought it would be a bit more impressive. But it kind of took a backseat to all the other storylines going on, and got lost. I think it should have had a much bigger role in this novel.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read, and I'd recommend it if you think it sounds interesting, because it was! But if you're after a really good, strong plot, then this book might not be for you. It was just a-okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment